Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

The Tarlton Law Library is open at this time with access limited to current UT Law students, faculty, and staff. Members of the UT Austin community unaffiliated with the law school may contact the Circulation Desk (, 512-471-7726) for assistance with accessing library resources. Online reference services are also available. Please see the Tarlton Reopening FAQs and the Texas Law Fall 2020 Reopening Plan for additional details

Tarlton Law Library logo Texas Law Home Tarlton Law Library Home
Today's Operating Hours:

Reusable Content: Frequently Asked Questions

Library basics

Where are you located?
Maps and driving directions are available on the Library website.
Where do all these art pieces and artifacts come from?
The art and furniture you see in the Library is part of the Hyder Collection.
Can I bring my beverage/food into the Law Library?
Beverages are allowed throughout the Library, and some types of food are allowed in certain areas of the Library, as described in our policy.
Where are the bathrooms?
Bathrooms are located in the southwest and northwest corners of the Library. Check our online floor maps for specific locations.
Do you have change for the copy machine?
All Library copiers accept copy cards only - they do not accept cash. Patrons may purchase a copy card at the card dispenser located on the main floor of the Library using cash, Mastercard, or Visa. There is a $2.00 minimum charge for credit card transactions. Copy cards purchased at other locations on the UT campus can also be used in Library copiers. The Library does not have change. Read more details


The main library catalog said that this item is located in the law library. Is it on the shelf?
Check the item record in Tarlton's catalog, TALLONS. The status section of the item record will tell you if the item is checked out, on the shelf, or located elsewhere in the law library.
Why are some items available for library use only?
To ensure the integrity of the collection, certain materials are limited to library use only and do not circulate outside the library. These include materials that are part of special collections such as Reference, Rare Books, and Archives, as well as supplemented materials, individual volumes of multi-volume sets, and primary law materials shelved in the general collection.
Do you have [obscure legal treatise] in your collection?
Check Tarlton's online catalog, TALLONS.
Can I return a book from another University of Texas library here? Can I return Tarlton books at other UT libraries?
All books checked out from Tarlton must be returned to Tarlton. Tarlton does not accept items checked out from other UT libraries. Late fees will accrue on Tarlton items mistakenly returned to other libraries.

How do I...

How do I make copies/print something?
Information on photocopying and printing services in the Library is on the Library website.
How do I reserve a conference room?
UT law students and UT law faculty can reserve conference rooms through our online reservation system.
How do I get something from closed stacks?
Please write down the call number for the item and ask for it at either the Circulation Desk or the Reference Desk. One of our librarians will retrieve the item for you.
How do I recall a book?
Check the TALLONS catalog record for the book. If the status of a book indicates that it is checked out, you can recall the book by clicking on the Request button near the top of the screen. The Library will notify you when the book is available for check out.
I’m a UT student - how do I pay my Law Library fine?
Fines can be paid online through the UT Direct What I Owe page (UT EID login required), or by cash, check, or money order at the Cashiers Office, Main Building (MAI on campus map), Room 8, Monday through Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.
I'm a UT undergrad/ non-law UT student - how do I check out Law Library books?
Anyone with a UT ID (students, faculty, or staff) may check out books from the Law Library. You will need to fill out a form at the Circulation Desk the first time you check an item out so that you can be added to our system. Items checked out from the Law Library must be returned at the Law Library.

I'm a public patron...

Are the library facilities open to the general public?
Yes. Read more details about public access and circulation privileges.
How do I get a library card/check out books?
Public patrons with valid TexShare cards or Tarlton Guest Borrower cards may borrow circulating materials from the Library.
Is there any way for me to access the library's subscription databases?
All of Tarlton's legal research databases are available for use by public patrons on site. Non-UT affiliated users should request access to Westlaw at the reference desk.
Can I use the computers?
Yes, once you have obtained a guest UT EID. Read more about the Library's policy on public computer use.
How do I log in to the UT wireless network?
Members of the public may connect to AT&T WiFi. Select the "attwifi" network on your device, open the web browser, and follow the instructions. For visitors without an AT&T network account, a 24-hour block may be purchased for $3.99 through the AT&T web site.
Can I use Westlaw?
The Library has a public access version of Westlaw available for use by the public. Users must obtain a UT EID to log in to the computers and then ask either at the Circulation Desk or the Reference Desk for Westlaw to be set up on the computer.
How do I pay for a fine?
Guest Borrowers or TexShare borrowers can pay fines at the Library's Circulation Desk with exact cash or a check made payable to The University of Texas.

Looking for legal assistance

I've heard about clinics here that provide legal assistance. Can you tell me more?
UT Law School's Legal Clinics accept only a small number of cases. For more information on the clinics, see
Can the Law Library help me find a lawyer?
Reference Librarians cannot help you find a lawyer. If you live in Central Texas, please contact the Lawyer Referral Service of Central Texas. The State Bar of Texas also has an attorney referral service. For information about free or low-cost civil legal assistance in Texas, please consult
Can the Law Library help me get a legal form?
Reference Librarians can point you to various legal form books in our collection which are available at the Library. Patrons will need to locate the appropriate forms themselves and make photocopies.
Can I hire a law student to do legal work?
Law students do not take cases; they only work through the Law School's clinics, which accept a small number of cases. The Legal Research Board, a student-run research organization chartered by the State Bar of Texas, is available to research and write legal memoranda for licensed attorneys.


I have old law books I don't need. Does the Library accept donations?
Tarlton Law Library accepts donations of books, journals, archival materials, and other resources not currently available in its collections. In order to make the most effective use of resources, the Library reserve the right to decline donations and to determine the disposition of donated materials. Donors are advised that if a tax deduction or gift is taken, the Internal Revenue Service has regulations for filing tax-deductible contributions valued at $250 or more. We are unable to provide appraisals for donated materials. Interested donors should contact Stephen Wolfson,

Tarlton Law Library also welcomes cash gifts made to support special programs or to acquire library materials. Information on giving opportunities is available at

Do you have any jobs available?
Permanent full and part time positions are posted on the University's Human Resource Services site. Part-time positions for enrolled University students are posted on the Office of Student Financial Services' Hire a Longhorn Job Bank.