Skip to main content
Tarlton Law Library logo Texas Law Home Tarlton Law Library Home
Today's Hours:
Today's Hours
More Hours

Student Guides

Consult with a Law Librarian

The Library is here to help during your time as a research assistant for a law professor.

Get to Know Your Faculty Member's Library Liaison

If you have questions about resources and legal research strategies, feel free to get in touch with your law professor's library liaison. Each professor here at the law school has a library liaison who may be familiar with that faculty member's research interests and can help you with your research.

Additional Help

In addition to your faculty member's library liaison, there are other highly trained, specialized librarians you are welcome to contact for assistance:

Borrowing Materials


The Library facilitates your checking out materials on behalf of the professor for whom you work. (Never check out items for a professor in your own name as you will be responsible for any fines that accrue. Faculty members also have the advantage of longer check-out periods.)

      • Tarlton: To borrow books for your professor from Tarlton, ask the professor to have your name added to his or her Tarlton patron record. Your professor can email the circulation desk, granting permission, at
      • UT Libraries: To borrow books from the main UT Libraries system, your professor needs to fill out a proxy borrower card form on your behalf. You can then take the completed form to UT Libraries' main Perry-Castenada Library (PCL).
      • Off campus: If a book your professor needs to borrow is not at any UT library, submit a document delivery request on your professor's behalf.

Copying Materials



The library has two e-Scan™ book scanners that are free to use; documents can be saved to a flash drive or emailed. They are located

  • near the photocopier on the 2nd floor, and
  • in a carrel near the computer lab help desk on the 3rd floor.

Please see the Print, Copy, Scan guide for more information.

Photocopying: Copy Card for RAs

If you need to make photocopies for a law professor of materials at Tarlton or at any of the UT Libraries, Tarlton's circulation desk has a copy card that you can use to cover the cost. Ask for the RA copy card at Tarlton's circulation desk for you to log it out and then log it back in with the remaining balance. (To log it out, your professor must have already had your name added to his or her Tarlton patron record.)