Ralph Hicks Harvey (1893-1950)
Texas Supreme Court,
Ralph Hicks Harvey was born July 20, 1893 in Atlanta, Cass County, in northeastern Texas. Following his graduation from Atlanta High School in 1910, he began a career as an educator and school administrator. He taught history and Latin for two years from 1910 to 1912, was principal of Hughes Springs High School from 1912 to 1913, and superintendent of schools in Linden in 1914. He worked as the county superintendent of public instruction for four years, supervising 135 schools, before entering The University of Texas law school. Harvey graduated with an LL.B. degree in 1921 and was admitted to the state bar the same year.
Following his graduation from law school, Harvey returned to Atlanta and practiced law until 1927, when he was elected county judge of Cass County. After serving two years in the position, he returned to private practice until 1932, when he was elected district judge of the Fifth Judicial District. He served in that post for eleven years until 1944, when Gov. Coke Stevenson appointed him to the Sixth Court of Civil Appeals at Texarkana. Harvey served in that position until 1949, when he was appointed to the Texas Supreme Court by Gov. Beauford Jester to fill a vacancy following the resignation of Gordon Simpson.
Harvey, who never married, died in a Texarkana hospital September 8, 1950 at the age of fifty-seven following a brief illness. His death came several months before his term on the supreme court was to end.
13 Texas Bar Journal 525 (October, 1950).
Additional information available in Southwestern Historical
Quarterly as follow:
Volume 60, page 18
Additional information available in Texas Bar Journal as
Volume 7, page 110
Volume 12, page 102
Volume 13, page 525
R. H. Harvey, High Court Justice, Dies, Dallas Morning News, Sept. 9, 1950.