A Dallas native, Charles T. McCormick (1889-1963) recieved his B.A. from the University of Texas in 1909, and his LL.B. cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1912. He practiced in his father's law firm, Etheridge, McCormick, and Bromberg, in Dallas before serving as a captain of infantry in the United States Army from 1917-1919. After World War I, McCormick was employed by Standard Oil Company in New York, but he soon returned to Dallas to practice.
In 1922, McCormick joined the faculty of the University of Texas School of Law. In 1926, he went to the University of North Carolina School of Law, where he served as dean from 1927 until 1931. He taught at Northwestern School of Law from 1931 until 1940, when he returned to the University of Texas as dean of the law school. As dean, McCormick modernized the curriculum and established a legal aid clinic among other accomplishments. In 1949, McCormick stepped down as dean, but he continued to teach full-time. McCormick was named dean emeritus in 1961 and retired from the university in 1962. A scholarship for law students was established in his honor in 1964 and a professorship was established in 1965.
Recognized as an expert on damages and evidence, McCormick published the Handbook of the Law of Damages in 1935, Texas Laws of Evidence in 1937, Cases and Materials on Federal Courts in 1946, and Handbook on the Law of Evidence in 1954. He also published a number of scholarly articles. McCormick was appointed to the first Judicial Counference Advisory Committee on Rules of Civil Procedure by the United States Supreme Court and President Dwight Eisenhower selected McCormick to serve on the National Oliver Wendell Holmes Devise Committee, which was established by Congress in 1955 to administer funds given by the late Justice Holmes. McCormick was a member of the American Law Institute, the American, Texas, Illinois, and Chicago Bar Associations, the Philosophical Society of Texas, and Phi Delta Phi. He served as president to Order of the Coif and the Association of American Law Schools.