Student Law Librarians
In June 1895, the Board of Regents voted to set aside annual fees paid by law students for the creation and maintenance of a law library. A portion of that sum went to the position of law librarian. The earliest law librarians were recent Bachelor of Laws graduates who held the position of Fellow and Law Librarian while they completed their studies for a Master of Laws.
Old Main, the first building
of the University of Texas,
The holdings of the law library were contained in a room adjoining the lecture room used for law classes in the basement of Old Main. The collection contained the Texas Reports, United States Reports, American Decisions, American Reports, American State Reports, New York Reports, Federal Reporter, and Revised English Reports, as well as works on civil law, American and English constitutional law and history.
In addition to purchases made with the annual fees, donations came from former students and friends of the department. In 1896, the law library consisted of approximately 3,000 books and was open from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. every day except Sunday.
By 1899, the position was included in the university catalogue. The law librarian and assistant librarian were chosen from "the most worthy members of the Senior class who are desirous of prosecuting their studies further in the Graduate class." Compensation for each position was $200.
Initially a joint library position and fellowship for a graduate student, in 1902 the practice of appointing both a day and night librarian, typically members of the senior class, began. Student law librarian appointments continued until 1911, when Department of Law graduate and former student librarian Wilbur Cleaves took the position.
Three student law librarians were appointed for the 1908-1909 academic year. The same year, the Law Department moved from its original location in Old Main to its own building, later named Pearce Hall. The library was located on the second floor.
The following list includes the students who held the positions of law librarian and assistant librarian at the University of Texas.
Henry Clay Struve, 1895-1896
John McQuesne Patterson, 1896-1897
John Crawford Saner, 1897-1898
Lamar Bethea, 1898-1899
Ira Polk Hildebrand, 1899-1900
Elmer Palmer Stockwell, 1900-1901
Harry Rhodes Bondies, 1901-1902
Benjamin Grayson Haskell, 1895-1896
Jefferson Davis Todd, 1896-1897
Anton Norwall Moursund, 1897-1898
Bernard Boyle Hemphill, 1898-1899
William Edgar Miller, 1899-1900
Jules Henri Tallichet, 1900-1901
Samuel Fenner Leslie, 1901-1902
James DuBose Walthall, 1902-1903
William Preston McGinnis, 1903-1904
George Terrell Cope, 1904-1905
Holland E. Bell, 1905-1906
Arthur Linial Meadows, 1906-1907
Edwin Dabney, 1902-1903
Talley DeLoach Britt, 1903-1904
Albert Duke Robertson, 1904-1905
Edmund Burke Griffin, 1905-1906
William Pharmer Leslie, 1906-1907
Towne Young, 1908-1909
Wilbur Mundy Cleaves, 1908-1909
Franklin Pierce McElwrath, 1909-1910
Clifton Mott Caldwell, 1910-1911
Oscar O'Neil Touchstone, 1908-1909
Charles Hume Smoot, 1909-1910
Walter Grady Miller, 1910-1911